Sunday 5 January 2014

Letter to Me

I have a question for you, if you could write a letter to the younger version of you, say at ten years old, what would you write and what advice would you give? For me, it would go something like this. And after you read it, give it a go yourself, but be truly honest with it. You don't have to show it to anyone if you don't want to and it can be quite therapeutic. And then after you've written it, keep it, either saved on a computer or hidden at the back of a draw and every so often, take it out and simply have a read. Trust me, this going back to read your letter will prove equally as valuable and as therapeutic as when you first wrote that letter. So, here it goes!

Jason

Hello old friend, it's the future you talking. First things first, I'll prove that it's me by saying your first crush was the Silver Power Ranger when you were seven years old in which no one else would know about (and neither did you at the time).

          Now to why I'm writing. I have a few bits of advice you may find helpful in the years to come. Firstly, stop trying to please everyone. You'll never be able to keep it up and why should you? If you think something is worth you doing, then do it and if not, then don't. Yeah, you might annoy people every now and then, but it doesn't matter what they think, it's what you think that matters. And actually, you'll end up finding it quite entertaining when someone gets annoyed at you for being right or having the bottle to tell them no.

          Secondly, don't be afraid to have an opinion different from those around you. I know it's hard, but in the long run people will respect you for it and they'll start to listen to what you have to say. No one like a "yes" man. I know this might sound hard and I know your confidence is in shatters, but be rest assured, your best years are ahead of you, you just need the confidence to grab it and with patience, they will come. Your future will involve so many positive people, so many positive personalities and you'll be all the better for it.

          I know your sister's death still haunts you, there's nothing I can say or do about that I'm afraid. But be rest assured, the memories will never fade. In the years to come, they will help you appreciate the life you are yet to live. They will help keep you centred and grounded and in a way, they will become your greatest strength.

          Finally, and on a minor more practical note, when it comes to your school work, it's not about how much work you do or how much you read or write, it's all about the quality. As the saying goes, it's not about whether you win or lose, it's about how you play the game. As long as you play it with gusto and with quality, with effort and hard work, you'll always be a winner, no matter what anyone else might tell you. Sometimes this may be unpopular and sometimes you may have to argue for it, but like I said earlier, it doesn't matter what anyone else says, no matter who that person is, their opinion simply doesn't matter. So always go with what you feel is right, you just need the confidence to do it.

          I'll finish off my saying how proud I am of you, the things you have done and for the things that have yet to come.

(PS You come out when you're seventeen as I know you're curious. And no it's not a phase, your doubts are just you listening to what other people tell you, soon you'll come to ignore them!)

Yours always,

Jason

No comments:

Post a Comment